G: Gut, as in Leaky!
Chances are you may not have heard of leaky gut. There are even higher chances of you having leaky gut if you have an autoimmune disease or any symptoms on the autoimmune spectrum as described by Dr. Amy Myers. I have learned that you most likely have a leaky gut if you struggle with digestive issues, allergies, asthma, autoimmune disease(s), fibromyalgia, skin issues, and depression. If you can identify with any of these issues please look into healing your gut and get yourself to feeling better! Knowledge is power so let’s get to learning…
What is Leaky Gut?
“The gut is naturally permeable to very small molecules in order to absorb vital nutrients. In fact, regulating intestinal permeability is one of the basic functions of the cells that line the intestinal wall. In sensitive people, gluten can cause the gut cells to release zonulin, a protein that can break apart tight junctions in the intestinal lining. Other factors such as infections, toxins, stress, and age can also cause these tight junctions to break apart. Once these tight junctions get broken apart, you have a leaky gut. When your gut is leaky, things like toxins, microbes, undigested food particles, and more can escape from your intestines and travel throughout your body via your bloodstream. Your immune system marks these “foreign invaders” as pathogens and attacks them. The immune response to these invaders can appear in the form of any of the signs you have a leaky gut.” -Dr Myers
How do we heal a Leaky Gut?
- Rid your diet of inflammatory foods such as dairy, nightshade vegetables, caffeine, gluten, grains, sugars, legumes, and soy. Rid your diet of toxic, processed foods.
- Clean up your environment. Toxins are absorbed through the foods we reheat, the bottled water we drink, and through our skin. The less toxins that surround you is best for everyone. Start replacing plastic with glass and use organic cleaners.
- Replenish your body with the nutrients it so badly needs and deserves. Eat whole, organic, grass-fed or wild game, good for you foods!
- Get a massage…seriously just do it! Decreasing the stress in your life is a huge factor in stopping the leak. After your massage, take a nap, your body will thank you! Less stress and more sleep.
- Supplement with L-Glutamine, an amino acid that helps heal your gut lining and probiotics! (Please ask your doctor before taking any probiotics especially if you are on medications)
Did you know that 80% of your immune system is in your intestines? This fact alone reveals to me the very link between diet and healing/preventing autoimmune diseases.
Stop The Leak!