In my recent adventures of experimenting with my oven I noticed just how dirty my oven was. I had a brief discussion with my aunt on oven cleanliness and to be honest with you, I never really thought about the harm that my dirty oven could be causing. The burnt and almost petrified food can release carcinogens as it continues to burn. For those that were in the dark about this like I was, a carcinogen is any substance, radionuclide, or radiation that is an agent directly involved in causing cancer. Here I am trying to lead a life with less toxins and I am unknowingly exposing us to this. Inhaling carcinogens is clearly not the route I want to go. I want to clean my oven to prevent this from happening but I am afraid of using the harsh oven cleaners out there for two reasons: 1. Toxins are bad! 2. I am pregnant and have small children in my home and I do not want the chemicals around any of us. So what do I do to clean my oven without the harsh chemical cleaners out there? Here’s what I found and tried.
- 2 tablespoons castile liquid soap
- 1⅓ cup baking soda
- 6 drops orange essential oil (The recipe says optional but it’s a MUST for me. I love my oils.)
- ¼ cup organic white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- In a glass bowl, blend all ingredients, using the water to help form a thick paste.
- Using your pastry brush, brush on the homemade oven cleaner until you have coated the entire surface.
- Allow it to sit for about 6–8 hours or overnight works well. It will foam up just a bit, which is normal.
- Wear your gloves and wipe clean using a sponge and clean water.
Here is how my experiment with the homemade oven cleaner went photographically:
Before and During
I happy with the results even though it doesn’t look like it just came off the show room floor. I mean, come on, who knows the last time it was cleaned or even how old it is! That fact alone makes me cringe just thinking about the bad guys that were lurking in there. Not only being happy with the cleanliness, the smell is wonderful. How many times can your spouse put their head in the oven and say “that cleaner smells awesome”?
A brief shout out to my Aunt Joyce for bringing this to my attention and helping me stay the path!
*I found this cleaner recipe on Dr. Josh Axe’s website. He goes into detail on how all these ingredients work and why they work. He is a great resource for healthy, cleaner living.